Monday, March 14, 2011

DMG Sample Level Stocking Project Part 2

Now for Part 2 of my ongoing weekly quest to stock the sample dungeon level from the DMG p. 95. (See also James C.'s original announcement of the project, his updated list of participants, and my own stocking installment Part 1.)


I am assuming a Level 3 dungeon and am using the Labyrinth Lord basic dungeon stocking tables on LL p. 124 to stock the map, with a few customized twists, i.e., I am deliberately placing a few monsters and treasures as I see fit.  I am also using Michael Curtis' Dungeon Alphabet and some of the random tables in the back of the Advanced Edition Companion to randomly generate "special" encounters and miscellaneous and/or atmospheric room features.



So here we go, stocking rooms 5 through 8:

Room 5:  Last time I decided I wanted to place the treasure belonging to the wights from Room 4 in the adjoining room -- this would require the PCs to search for the secret trapdoor and crawl along the crawl-way from Room 4 to Room 5 in order to find that treasure, which amounts to 4,000 electrum pieces.  However, to add an extra challenge, I decided to add some lower-powered undead treasure guardians to Room 5 as well.  Ghouls felt about right; I rolled for number appearing and got "2."

Room 6:  Rolled and got monster with treasure.  Rolled randomly for the monster on the Level 3 Wandering Monster Table (LL p. 104) and got "Bugbear."  This was extremely fortuitous, since I had already established a Bugbear Priest's chamber in Room 1, and therefore I knew I wanted there to be a larger Bugbear lair somewhere else on the map.  I originally figured that I might have to artificially impose that lair somewhere along the line, but this roll saved me the trouble.  I rolled for number appearing and got eleven (11) Bugbears.  I rolled for treasure based upon the Bugbears' Hoard Class (XXI) but got nothing.

Room 7:   Rolled and got "unique."  I then rolled on the "Random Features" and "Random Characteristics" Tables (AEC p. 148-149) and got "vegetation heats."  In response to this I imagined some kind of highly inflammable / explosive fungus or dried vine clinging to the walls in this chamber.  Anyone poking a torch or other flame source into this room runs a 2 in 6 chance of setting it off.  If gathered, the dried vine can be used by herbalists to create an anti-cold remedy.   

Room 8:  Rolled and got trap with treasure.  Rolled randomly for the trap type (AEC p. 147) and got "scything blade."  I rolled for unguarded treasure and got 600 silver pieces, 700 gold pieces, and three pieces of jewelry worth 60 g.p., 400 g.p., and 200 g.p. 

So, my finished key to Rooms 5-8 looks like:

5.  Wight Treasure Hoard and Guardians.
Two ghouls dwell here, guarding the wights' treasure.  4,000 e.p. are stashed in a series of moldy sacks in one corner. 

6.  Lair of the Bugbear Tribe
This is the lair of a sizable tribe of bugbears.  There are ten (10) standard bugbears here plus their chieftain (an HD 4 bugbear with maximum hit points).  These bugbears regularly patrol the hallways between here and Room 1, and are aware of the dried vines in Room 7, which they regularly harvest for medicinal and tea-making purposes.  They also know about the existence of the wights in room 4, but never open the door leading into that area; their priest has placed divine wards on that door to keep the wights at bay.  The bugbears will fight to the death to protect their home; what treasure they possess is kept in Room 8, in order to lure unsuspecting intruders into the blade trap there.

7.  Vine-Covered Chamber.
Brownish and grayish vines completely cover the walls and ceiling of this chamber.  A few patchy areas suggest recent harvesting.  The vines are highly inflammable and explosive; anyone bringing a torch or other flame source into this room runs a 2 in 6 chance of setting off a firestorm that deals 3d6 damage to everyone in the room (save vs. breath weapon for half damage).  If (carefully!) gathered, the dried vine can be used by herbalists to create an anti-cold remedy.   

8.  Scything Blade Trap.
A large, locked chest sits in the southeast corner of this room.  Anyone stepping on the floor within 10' of the chest activates a scything blade trap that affects everyone in the whole room, dealing 1d8 damage to anyone who fails a save vs. petrify.  The chest contains 600 s.p., 700 g.p., and three pieces of jewelry valued at 60 g.p., 400 g.p., and 200 g.p., respectively.  Anyone removing the treasure from this room will incur the wrath of the bugbears from Room 6, who will subsequently hunt down the PCs in order to recover the chest and its contents. 

Next time: Rooms 9-14!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're stocking it randomly. I've tried that myself in the past but am never wholly satisfied with the results. I'd like to see how others do it. My approach with the Sample Dungeon so far has been to only roll randomly for treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is my first full-blown foray into random stocking, and I'm having a blast! It is fun to try to retroactively "explain" or justify what comes up via the roll of the dice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at this map the other day and disappointment more wasn't described. And wa-la there you are.

    ReplyDelete