Wednesday, March 30, 2011

DMG Sample Level Stocking Project Part 4

Despite my initial intention to crank out these installments every Monday, the last one came out on a Tuesday, and this one a Wednesday -- sue me.  But a day or two late or no, here we go with Part 4 of my stocking project for the sample dungeon level from the DMG p. 95. (See also James C.'s original announcement of the project, his updated list of participants, and my own stocking installments Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3.)


A reminder of my parameters:

(1) I am stocking this map as a Level 3 dungeon.

(2) I am using the Labyrinth Lord basic dungeon stocking tables on LL p. 124 to stock the map, with a few customized twists, i.e., I am deliberately placing a few monsters and treasures as I see fit.  I am also using Michael Curtis' Dungeon Alphabet and some of the random tables in the back of the Advanced Edition Companion to randomly generate "unique" encounters and miscellaneous and/or atmospheric room features.


Now to stock rooms 15 through 18:

Room 15:  Rolled and got monster, no treasure.  So next I rolled on the Level 3 Wandering Monster table (LL p. 104) and got "Gargoyle."

Rooms 16-18:  Rolled and got "unique" for all three of these rooms.  I rolled for each one on the "Random Features" and "Random Characteristics" Tables (AEC p. 148-149) and got:

Room 16: "domed ceiling decreases INT"
Room 17: "wall ages"
Room 18: "alcove burns"

So my finished key to Rooms 15-18 looks like:

15. Gargoyle Lair. 
Two gargoyles dwell here.  They will stand stock still in the northeast and southeast corners of this room, masquerading as statues, until potential victims draw close enough to attack.  They will then fight to the death, and will even chase victims out of this chamber if they have the combat advantage.  They have no treasure.

16. Dome of the Sage's Inscription.
This large chamber features a 20' high, 30' diameter circular domed ceiling [centered on the number "16" on the map] that is covered with arcane-looking runic inscriptions that glow faintly blue.  Anyone climbing or flying up to the dome and touching the runes will lose 1 point of INT, the duration of the effect determined by d6 roll:  1: permanent, 2-3: 1d4 days, 4-6: 1d8 hours.  This effect may be visited upon each rune-toucher an unlimited number of times; repeat touchings continue to cumulatively lower INT.  The runes themselves are not in any actual language and if deciphered by some means will reveal themselves to be utter gibberish.

17. Mirror of Sorrow. 
On this 10' section of north wall is a mirror that reflects an image of the viewer as ten years younger than his or her present age.  However, if touched, the mirror ages the toucher by one year.  This effect may be visited upon each mirror-toucher an unlimited number of times; repeat touchings continue to cumulatively age the victim.  The mirror cannot be removed from the wall by any means, and if broken or shattered, it will magically mend itself within 24 hours.

18. Burning Pit.
This room contains a concealed pit trap in the center.  As soon as anyone steps on the central 10' square of floor, the trap is triggered, dropping the vicitim(s) 20' down onto a patch of oil which instantly ignites upon contact with any living thing.  Victims of the trap take 2d6 falling damage initially, plus 1d8 fire damage for every round spent in the pit.  The pit walls are coated with oil as well, so egress from the pit is slippery and difficult. 

Next time: Rooms 19-23!

5 comments:

  1. Nicely done. This is a very interesting project. Wish we had more time to take it on. But maybe later...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I don't know where I find the time -- and note that I do run later and later each week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the way you are fleshing this out. I plan to use it in my tabletop campaign. Placing it underneath the 'Ruined Monastery' which was in Fight On! #1. Looking fwd to seeing the rest, thanks - Scaly

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Scaly: You're welcome, THANKS for tuning in. I am having so much fun with this that I plan to make it a regular series: Stocking Other People's Maps. I already have a plan for my next map after this. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a fucked up Domed Ceiling, but I'm glad it punishes repeat offenders.

    ReplyDelete