Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thoughts on a Couple of Ex-Croakers

Here are a couple of RPG'ing products that would have made my bucket list except that I've had a chance to play them in the last year:


- Swords & Wizardry White Box: This is the scrappy little system I used for my first ConstantCon session of Tales from the Hotel Kaladarian. Prior to that single session I had never before played any D&D edition (or retro-clone thereof) prior to 1977, i.e., Holmes. It ran well, though at times I missed the easy familiarity of Labyrinth Lord. In any case, I haven't even come close to playing enough White Box to say that I've given it a fair trial yet.

I am attracted to S&W White Box due to its d6-only weapon damage, d6-only PC hit dice, universal attribute bonuses, no thief class, and "imagine the hell out of it!" ethos. For the purpose of having the rules readily available for all my players to download or obtain, a well-supported retro-clone like Swords and Wizardry is a great bet, much more sensible that trying to play strictly with the original LBBs, IMO.
 

- The Lost City:  I got my chance to run dungeon module B4 by using it as the kickoff module for my local gaming group which started last February. After their first three or four sessions, they found their way to the Underground City, and then the campaign went on hiatus. It will soon start again as I originally intended it, as a public Labyrinth Lord group at my FLBS.

No comments:

Post a Comment