Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D for Dimetrodon

[Note: Any non-gamers tuning in to this series of posts are invited to consult my New Reader Introduction for some RPG-specific definitions and a general introduction to the Lands of Ara blog.]

As is well known to regular readers, I love dimetrodons. I love ALL dinosaurs really, but dimetrodon -- which is not technically a dinosaur but a "prehistoric synapsid" -- has always been a particular favorite. That sail on its back gets me every time.

So as the first portion of my present celebration of Dimetrodon, I want to offer this new "flying" variant, statted for use in old-school versions of D&D.*

Illustration copyright 2011 Kelvin Green.

Flying Dimetrodon
# Encountered: 1d6
Alignment: Neutral
Move: 120’ (40'), Fly: 150’ (50')
Armor Class: 5
Hit Dice: 6
Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 2d8
Save As: F4
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: none
XP: 570

The dreaded tree- and cliff-dwelling Flying Dimetrodon "flies" in the same sense that a flying squirrel does: it has a membranous webbing along its sides that allows it to glide through the air. A Flying Dimetrodon may only fly for short distances; its favorite tactic is to glide down upon unsuspecting victims. It is 8-9' long, just a wee bit smaller than a standard, ground-dwelling Dimetrodon.

Up next, both for the sake of contrast and to consolidate all the relevant Dimetrodon variants into one convenient post, I hereby reproduce the "basic" Dimetrodon as originally presented by Moldvay/Cook in The Isle of Dread p. 29:

Illustration copyright 2011 Kelvin Green.

Dimetrodon
# Encountered: 1d6
Alignment: Neutral
Move: 120’ (40')
Armor Class: 5
Hit Dice: 7
Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 2d8
Save As: F4
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: VII
XP: 440

A dimetrodon is a sail-backed, meat-eating dinosaur. The "sail" is a comb of long bony spines connected with a skin webbing. The dimetrodon is about 10' long and weighs nearly a ton. Dimetrodons hunt most often in hills and in the drier areas of swamps.

Followed by my Fire-Breathing Dimetrodon variant, first unveiled here:

Illustration copyright 2011 Kelvin Green.

Fire-Breathing Dimetrodon
# Encountered: 1d4
Alignment: neutral
Move: 120’ (40’)
AC: 5
HD: 7
Attacks: 1 (bite or flame breath weapon)
Damage: 2d8 / special
Save: F4
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: none
XP: 790

This 9' long flaming-sail-backed reptile is fiercely territorial. It is a voracious meat-eater often found in mated pairs or small packs. It is impervious to flame-based attacks. Its breath weapon, usable 3 times per day, emits a cone of flame 60' long and 20' wide which inflicts a number of hp damage equal to the creature's total number of hp when the attack occurs (save vs. breath attack = half damage).

And lastly, my own first take on the Dimetrodon, slightly re-edited and now re-dubbed the "Aquatic Dimetrodon":

Illustration copyright 2011 Kelvin Green.

Aquatic Dimetrodon
# Encountered: 1d4
Alignment: neutral
Move: 90’ (30’), Swim: 120' (40')
AC: 4
HD: 7
Attacks: 1 (bite)
Damage: 3d4 +3
Save: F4
Morale: 8
Hoard Class: none
XP: 790

This 9' long sail-backed reptile is fiercely territorial and can swim. It is a voracious meat-eater often found in mated pairs or small packs.  It breathes air but may stay underwater for up to ten minutes at a time.

[FINAL NOTE: Special thanks to Kelvin Green, who created all four of the wonderful dimetrodon illustrations above.  Kelvin also deserves the credit for coming up with the flaming sail for the fire-breathing dimetrodon, which is utterly badass.  Kudos Kelvin!]

--

* By statted I mean I have generated numerical game "stats" (statistics) for the creature so that it can be used in-game. By old-school editions of D&D I specifically mean Labyrinth Lord, the retro-clone that I play, but this term indicates that this monster would work in any first-edition D&D ruleset, including "Original" 1974 D&D, B/X D&D [which Labyrinth Lord clones], AD&D, Swords and Wizardry, OSRIC, etc. See this glossary for more information on these kinds of abbreviations.

8 comments:

  1. Dimetrodons are the greatest of the prehistoric beasts. Big toothy heads and giant sails. When I was a kid, my rubber dimetrodons would always crush the pitiful Tyrannosaurus Rex between its massive jaws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the coolest scenes in Holmes's "Red axe of Pellucidar" involves a boat battle with aquatic Dimetrodons, who use their sails as propulsion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Carter,

    Had 'net problems yesterday so I didn't tune in. Catching up today. I'm really enjoying your posts. I haven't held a die with more than six sides in 20-odd years, but you're making me nostalgic.

    Just wanted to let you know your blog isn't only of value to gamers. I'm enjoying the illustrations and narrative, and the clean layout makes everything easy to read and navigate.

    Keep up the good work.

    Best,
    Joe
    Devious Devices from the DeMoulin factory

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also love the dimetrodon, so it was a pleasure to draw some for you. I like the way the greyscale matches up with your blog background; I wish I could say it was planned!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Bluskreem: I didn't know Holmes had beaten me to the punch on that one. I'll have to add it to my reading list.

    @Joe: Thanks!

    @Kelvin: Yes, that greyscale match was a very fortuitous accident indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love the dimetrodon and I love Kelvin's illustrations; check out the second dimetrodon, he's baked maaaan!

    If a Thing Tome occurs I belive that a Dimetron section would be mandatory :)

    @ Bluskreem: I am going to have to remember that for future Sea of Spices or waterborne Algol games, it's so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Kelvin: The dumbfounded adventurer in illo #1!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I LOVE that dumbfounded adventurer -- my hopes are not high for his survival.

    ReplyDelete